Goiter can be explained in simple terms a condition that is caused by the enlargement of the thyroid glands. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland which is located at the base of the neck; right above the Adams Apple. Thyroid glands are responsible for the functioning of various body functions like heart rate, temperature, etc. Goiter can be caused by any of the three causes.
- Producing a normal amount of hormones
As for other causes of Goiter, they are as follows.
- Hashimoto disease
- Thyroiditis; Inflammation of the thyroid
- Thyroid cancer
- Genetic defect
- Certain medications
- Iodine deficiency
Although goiter does not cause any discomfort, they can still lead to several systems in extreme cases.
- Shortness of breath
- Visible swelling in the neck
- Difficulty while swallowing
- Hoarse voice
- Tightness in throat
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
Although this is a serious condition and a person should consult a doctor as soon as the condition appears, we still present some home remedies to treat goiter at home to a certain extent.
Replenish the Iodine Levels in your body
Iodine deficiency is one of the leading causes of goiter. The reason is that iodine is essential for thyroid hormone production.
The best way to treat goiter is to incorporate an iodine-rich diet in your daily meals. For adults, the healthy iodine dose is about 10 mcg daily. Some foods that can help replenish the iodine levels of the body are as follows.
- iodized salt
- navy beans
- baked potato
Kelp, which is a type of seaweed, is also a good source of iodine that helps in normalizing the thyroid function. Still eating too much of it can result in iodine levels to increase and result in thyroid functions to decrease or increase.
- Kelps are salty in taste and can be used in soups as an alternative of salts. Same can be done for salads and other dishes.
- Another alternative is to add a little kelp powder in a drink or a smoothie
Increase your Vitamin B12 Intake
Vitamin B12 is an essential compound for a healthy thyroid functioning as it helps in both metabolic as well as the cellular process. A study confirmed that deficiency of vitamin B12 can lead to hyperthyroidism in some people. The solution is to simply switch to a vitamin B12 enriched diet.
- Some common sources of vitamin B-12 foods are eggs, dairy products, seafood, and meat.
- An alternative is to consume Vitamin B-12 supplements on a regular basis.
The botanical herb Bauhinia variegate or better known as Kanchanar is one of the ancient Ayurvedic remedies for treating goiter as well as other nodule growths in the body.
The herb also helps by eliminating any natural toxins of the lymphatic system which helps to restore the thyroid function.
- Boil a bark weighing 15 grams of Kanchanar in water over medium heat.
- After the water reduces to 1/3 of the original volume then turn off the heat.
- Strain the liquid and drink it 2 times a day or before every meal.