In a year, an average adult gets the common cold 2 to 4 times while a child gets 6 to 8 times. A common cold is an infection of the upper respiratory tract which normally affects the following parts.
The main perpetrators behind causing this ailment are the viruses which belong to the Rhinovirus group but still the can be caused by other viruses as well. Some of the common symptoms that a person affected by common cold experiences are as follows.
- Runny nose
- Blocked nose
- High fever
- Itchy eyes
- Sore throat
- Body ache
While it is said that there is essentially no cure of common cold, its myriad symptoms can still be affected with many natural remedies. For our readers, we bring to you a few home remedies to treat the common cold.
Garlic has an organosulfur compound in it which presents garlic its medicinal properties. Due to its strong antiviral and antibacterial properties, Garlic is an excellent ingredient to get rid of the common cold as it helps to boost the immune system and to flush out the toxins that cause the common cold.
- Mix 1 clove of crushed garlic in 2 tsp of lemon juice, 1tsp of honey and half a tsp of cayenne pepper. Mix them well and eat 1 tsp of this connotation each day.
- Alternatively, to treat the common cold, a person can eat raw garlic cloves either in salads or with warm milk.
Honey is also another helpful ingredient to counter the effects of an irritated throat along with alleviating the symptoms of a common cold. Nutrients, which are present in honey in high amounts, provide it with natural antibacterial and antiviral properties to kill off the cold causing bacteria and viruses.
The use of raw honey or more specifically the Manuka Honey is recommended for treating the common cold.
- Simply mix 1 tsp of lemon juice in 2 tbsp of honey and eat it once every 2 hours when suffering from the common cold.
- Alternatively, you can also eat raw honey to treat the cold.
- For children, it is best to add half a tsp of raw honey in 1 glass of warm milk and make them drink it before going to sleep.
In folk medical treatment, red onions have been used to make syrups that are helpful in treating the common cold. Red onions are packed with an antioxidant named Quercetin as well as another one named Chromium which are the main ingredients for providing relief from common cold symptoms.
- Slice up 3 red onions and put 1 slice in an empty jar and pour some raw honey then put another one and repeat the process until the whole jar is filled.
- Cover the jar with a cap or clean clothing for nearly 15 hours.
- It will give you thick syrup which you can drink 2 to 3 times each day.
Mullein, a woolly leaved plant which can be found growing in some part of the following regions.
- North America
- North Africa
Drinking Mullein tea is immensely helpful in treating and alleviating symptoms of the common cold.
- Simply add some dried up mullein herb in a cup of water and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and add 1 tsp of honey in it for added benefit.
Leave your vote
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!