For parents, fever is one of the most troubling concerns for their children. Often this causes them to rush for emergency departments.
While a fever is not a life-threatening situation, if it is high it can be pretty dangerous for a young child. Normally fever is the immune system response of a child’s body to either bacterial or viral infections.
While it is recommended to get your child checked by a proper physician, but to treat the fever to some extent at home, we present a few home remedies to treat fever of children.
Apply Cold Compress
If the temperature of your child is high, then by lowering to from the inside is quite helpful. In order to lower the body temperature, follow these following steps.
- Wet some pieces of cloth in cold water. It is optional but effective to add some drops of vinegar in this water. The acidic nature of vinegar helps to draw the heat out of the skin effectively.
- Soak the cloth well and wring it out to remove excess water.
- Place it evenly on the child’s forehead.
- After the cloth is warm, remove it and place another one over.
- Perform this method until the temperature decreases.
Give Them Fluids To Drink
If a child is suffering from fever, it is essential for a parent to increase the amount of fluids the child drinks. Fluid helps keep the body cool and also replaces the amount of water released from the body in the form of sweat. It is also beneficial for dehydration caused by fever.
- Give the child either a homemade oral rehydration solution or the ones that are available in the market.
- Other fluids that can be given to a child with fever are as follows.
- Cold milk
- Lukewarm water
- Coconut water
- Fruit juice
- Fruits with high water content
- Ice pops
Get Them To Sleep
No matter if a child or an adult is suffering from fever, it is advised to take some rest as well as sleep.
Resting in fever causes the body to heal instead of wasting the energy to perform other activities.
If the child is not willing to rest or sleep, then engage them in activities that allow them to sit in one place for a long time. Few common activities are as follows.
- Solving puzzles
- Letting them play with their favorite toy
Keep The Child in A Cool Place
If a child is suffering from fever, then it is essential to keep them in a cool and shaded place. The temperature of the room must be in between cool and hot. The ideal temperature for this situation is in between 21.1° to 23.3°C.
Parents can also use a fan for keeping the place cool but the child must not sleep directly under the fan.
For children, basil is effective in lowering their fever. Basil is enriched with antibacterial as well as antibiotic properties which help treat the bacteria causing the fever. It also helps boost the immune system which in turns speeds up the healing process.
- Boil a handful of basil leaves in 1 bowl of water until only half the amount of water is left. Add some honey in 1 glass of this water and give it to your child for drinking.
- You can also give the leaves to the child from time to time to chew on.
Leave your vote
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!