Summer times brings with it immense heat and to get rid of it, people of all ages usually turn at the beaches to play in the cool ocean water. However, the fun can be limited if a person gets stung by a jellyfish.
Jellyfish are the common ocean creatures and several of their species are poisonous. They carry venom in their tenantless to keep the predators at bay. When a jellyfish comes in contact with human skin, its tentacles which have millions of nematocysts; inject the venom in the human body. The sting of a jellyfish is immensely painful.
Luckily for our readers, we have a few home remedies to treat jellyfish stings.
Rinse with Vinegar
After being stung by jellyfish, leave the water calmly without scratching the affected skin. Rinse off the seawater from the affected skin and then again rinse it off with vinegar. White Vinegar is most effective in treating the burning session as well as detoxing the venom.
- Massage the affected area with vinegar for 30 seconds.
- If there are tentacles stuck in the skin, take them out slowly and carefully with the help of tweezers. Afterward, dip the affected area in warm water or take a warm shower for at least 20 minutes.
Hot Water Immersion
After treating the condition earlier, the hot water immersion is the next step. The high temperature actually helps to detox the venom as well as release the burning sensation of the sting.
- Heat some water to a temperature between 43° to 45° C.
- Add some salt in it and mix it well.
- Soak the affected skin in this water for 10 minutes.
In order to neutralize the effects of nematocysts as well as the venom in them, baking soda is an excellent remedy.
It helps by being a natural acid neutralizing agent in order to reduce the effect of a jellyfish sting. It also lessens the itching caused by the venom that if not treated can lead to infection.
- Add 1 tbsp of salt in 3 tbsp of baking soda
- Add in it 1 cup of seawater and mix it well for making a paste
- Apply the paste over the affected skin
- Keep it over for at least 5 minutes and afterward, wash it off with water
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is an ingredient that comes with anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce the following symptoms caused by jellyfish sting.
To use it for treating the jellyfish ting, follow this method.
- Extract the gel out of an Aloe Vera leaf and rub it over the affected skin.
- Let it sit for a few hours and rinse it off with warm water
Another method is as follows.
- Freeze some of the Aloe Vera extract in an ice tray to form Aloe Vera gel ice cubes. Rub them over the affected skin a few times daily.
One of the best remedies to treat any type of itching as well as the inflammation, oatmeal is extremely effective. Oatmeal comes with following properties to relieve the conditions like inflammation as well as itching caused by jellyfish sting.
- Soothing properties
To use oatmeal, grind it into powder form beforehand.
- Add 1 cup of powdered oatmeal in a bathtub full of warm water.
- Stir them well until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Soak your body in this water for half an hour.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!