The inflammatory bowel disease or better known as Ulcerative Colitis is an autoimmune disorder of the intestines that results in the colon and the rectum to become inflamed. It also attacks the body’s immune system that causes it to attack the healthy body tissues resulting in them to be inflamed.
Although the exact cause of the disease is still unknown, it is widely believed that it is caused by genetic, environmental or the combination of both factors. Excessive stress also results in worsening the condition.
Common symptoms of the disorder are as follows.
- Abdominal region pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Pus produced due to ulcers formed in the inner lining of the large intestine
Today we present to our readers a few of the natural home remedies to treat ulcerative colitis.
Wheat Grass Juice
For those who suffer from Ulcerative Colitis, Wheat Grass Juice has been found to be extremely beneficial for them. The reason is due to the rich amount of antioxidants presn4et in it. It helps to reduce the following symptoms caused by the chronic disorder.
- Abdominal pain
- Rectal bleeding
A person can start by consuming 4 tsps of the wheatgrass juice on an empty stomach daily. After a few days, they should increase the dose by 3.5 ounces each day.
Slippery Elm is renowned for relieving the inflammation of any sorts which makes it beneficial for treating ulcerative colitis as well. The ingredient forms a gel-like substance that coats the inner lining of the bowels. In addition to all this, the mucilage producing gel also adds to the weight of the stool that relieves a person from diarrhea.
- Simply add 1 tbsp of slippery elm in one cup of water and boil it. Let the water cool down and strain it. Drink this water two times a day.
- Another method is to mix 1 tsp of slippery elm with sugar in 2 cups of warm water and let it steep. Drink this gruel like liquid 2 times a day.
Psyllium is enriched with fibers that work as a bulking agent which aids in the improvement of gut mobility. The rich in fiber solution helps to relieve the moderate diarrhea symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Add 2 tsps of Psyllium seeds in 1 cup of warm water. Drink the liquid before it becomes too thick.
For those who are not meant for this remedy should start by drinking only half a tsp of Psyllium seed water. Then they should increase it by the day.
Calendula comes with anti-inflammatory as well as soothing properties that control the symptoms of ulcerative colitis to a great extent. It also aids in digestion as well as heals tissues.
- Add 2 tsps of Calendula flowers in water and boil it for a bit.
- Let the water steep and cool down
- Strain the water and drink this Calendula flower tea.
- Drink this tea 3 times a day
Chamomile tea has been sued since ancient times to treat myriad health disorders and one of them is the ulcerative colitis. Chamomile has in it anti-inflammatory properties that help ease the pain caused by the inflammation of the digestive tract.
- Add 3 tsps of powdered Chamomile flowers in 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Let it steep and strain it after 10 minutes.
- Whenever there is a pain flare, drink this tea