Coughing is actually the body’s natural reflex action for clearing up the person’s airways from irritants. Sometimes the coughing can be problematic as it can be acute lasting for 3 weeks or can sometimes last more than 8 weeks.
There are many types of coughs with a prominent one being wet and dry cough and whooping cough. While it is always best to see a doctor if you have prolonged coughing but there are still some easy to perform home remedies to treat wet cough.
Steam inhalation is one of the best remedies to have instant relief from cough. Both the heat and the moisture produced from the steam causes the breakup and dissolution of the mucus. To have improved effects of inhalation, it is best to add some Tulsi leaves extract in the steam water.
- Fill yourself a bowl with hot water and add in it 6 to 8 leaves of Tulsi also known as the Holy basil. Now put a light towel on your head and position your head and face over the warm bowl of water wit steam emanating from it. Inhale for as long as you can.
One of the best well-known ingredients for treating a cough is honey. Honey works by reducing the thickness of the mucus and also tends to cause the mucus to be removed easily form the respiratory tract. It is also packed with antibacterial and antiviral properties that allow it to fight off the cough causing infections.
- Take 1 large onion and slice it in thin pieces and place it in a nonstick saucepan. Add in it 1 tsp of dried Thyme and add as much honey as it can cover all the ingredients. The recommended amounts two bowls.
- Simmer all the ingredients for at least 1 hour on low heat.
- Now pour all the ingredients and the remaining honey in a jar and store it in the refrigerator for at least 1 month.
- During the cold season, a person can take 1 tbsp of this mixture to prevent cold and cough.
Ginger is an expectorant that allows it to not only thin the mucus in the respiratory tract but also aids in its easy removal. It also lessens the duration and the intensity of the coughing attack which is normally caused by the inflammation and hyperresponsiveness of the airways.
- Mix 1 tbsp of Ginger juice in 1 tbsp of honey and consume this connotation 2 times a day.
- If you are ok with the intense taste, you can also chew on raw ginger for treating coughs.
Licorice is another ingredient that works as an expectorant and can aid in relieving some symptoms of cough.
- Take 1 cup of hot water and add in it half a tsp of Licorice root and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and drink this licorice tea for instant cough relief.
Pineapple Juice, Ginger, Honey, Salt, and Cayenne Pepper
One of the homemade remedies for cough treatment is to make a cough syrupy by mixing in pineapple juice with ginger, honey, and some cayenne pepper. While cayenne helps in expelling the mucus; ginger and honey provide relief to a sore throat. For making this cough syrup, you need to blend the following ingredients in the respective quantities.
- Pineapple juice; 1 cup
- Chopped ginger; 1 tsp
- Honey; 1 tbsp
- Cayenne pepper; ¼ tsp
- Salt; ¼ tsp
Drink only ¼ of this blended mixture at one time.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!