Roughly 200,000 Australians are hospitalised yearly because of having a fall. Bone fractures are the most typical kind of harm ensuing from a fall. Whereas falls are most typical in these aged over 65, younger males aged 5-24 years are additionally notably liable to falls.
No matter your age, exercise ranges or well being standing, serving to stop falls is a crucial a part of what we do right here at My FootDr.
Which elements contribute most to falls?
In seniors aged over 65, the place falls are the reason for 75% of harm hospitalisations, the most important contributing elements to falls referring to the ft and legs embrace:
- Foot ache – circumstances aged Australians expertise reminiscent of bunions, claw toes, ingrown toenails, arch pain, heel pain and decrease limb ache can all contribute to falls as they alter the best way you stroll, resulting in much less stability on the ft.
- Muscle weak point – muscle tissues naturally weaken as we age and enter our golden years, so aged individuals are extra prone to falling as they lose muscle energy, flexibility and endurance. This could intrude with issues like our means to clear the bottom throughout strolling, ensuing within the toes hitting the bottom and ending in a fall.
- Stability and gait – foot posture, nerve sensation, stability and gait all influence on wellbeing as we age. Low arches or ft that roll inwards or outwards imply leg muscle tissues are working more durable to maintain the physique balanced. As we age, our pure stability and coordination are likely to worsen.
- Improper or ill-fitting footwear – backless sneakers and slippers, heeled sneakers, and sneakers with easy leather-based soles are examples of unsafe footwear which might contribute to falls. See our vary of good shoes for healthy feet here.
With 72% of falls occurring throughout the house or a residential aged care facility, being proactive in terms of stopping falls is important in selling ongoing mobility, consolation and independence.
How can podiatrists assist falls prevention?
Podiatrists play an necessary position in not solely treating the foot circumstances which will contribute to an individual’s falls danger, but additionally in offering common session to evaluate and finest handle the continuing and altering degree of danger of falling as we age.
Three key features a Podiatrist can supply aged Australians prone to falls embrace:
- Biomechanical assessment – figuring out the performance of ft whereas standing, strolling and operating. Particularly, the place muscle weak point or tightness, foot posture and limb perform might contribute to the falls danger.
- Custom-made foot orthotics – prescribing uniquely designed shoe inserts to finest help your ft of their ideally suited place. This could enhance your consolation and stability whereas lowering your falls danger.
- Footwear – guarantee you might be sporting protected footwear which correctly match and help your ft, versus sneakers that improve your falls danger.
Our objective is to assist stop our sufferers from being a falls statistic. When you’re apprehensive about your self or a liked one, e-book an appointment along with your native My FootDr podiatrist by calling 1800 FOOTDR or book an appointment online.
Go to our recommendation web page for extra data on falls prevention.